Plastic Surgery Patients Shifting Focus on Procedures
By DLM Admin on March 11, 2016 in Blepharoplasty, Body Lift, Botox, Breast, Breast Augmentation, Buttock Augmentation, Liposuction, Rhinoplasty, Tummy Tuck
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) recently released new statistics on cosmetic procedures, which shows a continuous growth in popularity of aesthetic services and a shift in the type of procedures patients are choosing since the year 2000. According to the annual report, there was a 2 percent increase in surgical and minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures in the U.S. from 2014 to 2015, which totaled out to be 15.9 million served.
Since 2000, all plastic surgery procedures have risen 115 percent in popularity. However, the kind of procedure is changing. Although the traditional methods are still most popular, such as facelifts and breast augmentations, surgeons are seeing a variety of areas of the body that patients are focusing on.
Butts are the New BIG Trend
The new ASPS statistics also show that 2015 was another huge year for the rear. Buttock implants and augmentations were the fastest growing cosmetic surgery in 2015. It is estimated that a buttock procedure was performed every 30 minutes of every day. Buttock augmentation was up 28 percent this year with 14,705 procedures performed. Buttock Lift came in second with a 36 percent increase in the past year. Buttock Implants came in an impressive third, up 36 percent from 2014.
Lift Procedures for Uplifting Results
ASPS statistics show a significant growth since 2000 in surgical lifts, and while facelifts remain a popular option, other procedures are making the cut:
- Lower Body Lifts are up 3,973 percent since 2000
- Upper Arm Lifts are up 4,959 percent since 2000
- Buttock Lifts are up 252 percent since 2000
- Breast Lifts are up 89 percent since 2000
Although these procedures are showing outstanding growth, for the first time since 2000, facelifts got knocked out of the top 5 most performed plastic surgery procedures last year by tummy tucks. The top 5 surgical procedures of 2015 were:
- Breast Augmentation with 279,143 procedures, down 2 percent from 2014
- Liposuction with 222,051 procedures, up 5 percent from 2014
- Rhinoplasty with 217,979 procedures, similar to 2014
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) with 203,934 procedures, down 1 percent from 2014
- Tummy Tuck with 127,967 procedures, up 9 percent from 2014
For minimally-invasive procedures, the top 5 procedures in 2015 were:
- Botox, or Botulinum Toxin Type A with 6.7 million procedures, up 1 percent from 2014
- Dermal Fillers, such as Juvéderm with 2.4 million procedures, up 6 percent from 2014
- Chemical Peel with 1.3 million procedures, up 5 percent from 2014
- Laser Hair Removal with 1.1 million procedures, similar to 2014
- Microdermabrasion with 800,340 procedures, down 9 percent from 2014
Even with minimally invasive procedures, you should always seek an ASPS board-certified plastic surgeon, like Dr. Partington in Seattle, Washington.
Finally, for the first time, men patients made up more than 40 percent of breast reduction surgeries in 2015. As plastic surgery becomes more accepted and widespread, especially in men, plastic surgeons will see an increase in men undergoing procedures to tone and tighten troubling areas. It is shown that these procedures are often done in younger men who face genetic complications, such as the size and shape of their chest, which makes a big different in their lives.Return to Overview